RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum
FAQ - Charte - Rechercher - Fichiers - Membres - S'enregistrer - Annuaire - Vérifier ses messages privés - Connexion

Fokker FG-2 - Congrès 2017 Vauville
Aller à la page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Suivante

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum -> Constructions Métalliques - Stahlrohrkonstruktion
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 12/05/2016 20:27    Sujet du message: Fokker FG-2 - Congrès 2017 Vauville Répondre en citant

Hello everyone, I am Vincent de Bode from Holland. I can speak and understand French and German, but writing it, is difficult for me. English is easier, but it is still a foreign language for me, so excuse my mistakes.

I liked to join Congres Vauville 2017 very much, so I was looking for a suitable glider.
Rob, who is a Fokker fan showed me a picture of the FG-2 and I thought; that can't be to difficult. (mistake!)
It will be built scale 1 : 5 with a wingspan of 2.4 meters ( its a biplane, quite voluminous)
We tried to get a proper set of plans, but till now we didn't succeed. I am quite sure when it is finished, the drawings show up MDR .

I hesitated a lot where to put this story, in "Constructions détaillées en Photo" or "Constructions Métalliques".
About 70% of the fuselage is steel tube, combined with wood. The horizontal and vertical tailplanes are also from steel tube, so I put it in "Constructions Métalliques".

When looking at different photo's and (very short) video's (all on the net) I discovered he made a lot of changes on the plane. I started to read a lot about Anthony Fokker to get an idea how he constructed aircraft. It was great fun and I even discovered I was at the same secondary school (a lot earlier) and I even recognised the old fysics classroom on the movie of his live.

Next story is a mostly guesswork combined with facts and analysing photo's and video's.

Fokker went to the Wasserkuppe in 1922 with two gliders, the FG-1 single seater and the FG-2 double seater. A reporter writes that they were build in 10 days!!! The wings are in one piece, here on a transport craddle on a truck. Also visible the internal nose construction with the skid.

Anthony Fokker with the FG-1

And the FG-2. On top of the rear centre vertical strut is the pully for the wing warping.

One of the drawings I found, which showed ailerons!

I guess he had control problems partly because the plane had a very short tailboom (I discovered that much later) First change was enlarging the vertical tailplane.
Another drawing I found, with enlarged vertical tailplane, but the tailboom not correct.

I think the tailboom was far too short, on one video it looks he is not very good in control, tries to land , but stays in the air, people are a bit running away. On most photo's someone is lifting the tail, or they put with a pole under it, it is a bit hidden, look carefully!
Maybe also the cg was to far aft???
So they made a longer tailboom, added a tube frame to stiffen the tubes, made the nose longer and changed the steel tube/ canvas streamline nacelle. (I read a story from him that they changed a prototype of one of his fighters in one night, made the fuselage longer).

One of the best photo's I found.

I was looking for the ailerons on this photo, I couldn't find them....

I think he flew succesfully with this configuration. but I found again another photo, with ailerons!
I guess this was done later, I didn't find a photo with ailerons and flying
but is a very informative picture.

I tried to make a drawing, it's a lot of guess work. It helped to see how his planes where made of wood and steel , bolted together and lots of wire.
The wing looks very transparant, so I have to make "nervures aux baguettes". Rob came up with the idea to make the wings in three parts. One short piece connected to the fuselage and two outer parts demountable for transport.

On the drawing I made(it is more a scetch) red is steel tube, green is wood, blue the wing and canvas.
Back to the ailerons (or lack of them) Fokker had a lot of experience with wing warping and obviously this plane had it.
The front girders with the struts and cross rigging, combined with rigging to the nose and tail should made it rigid. Rigging in green.

The rear girder was only attached in one point (the rear strut, it had 3 struts in the middle instead of 4). On top of the rear strut is a pully and at the bottom of this strut must be a connection to the torsion tube of the control , which is under the wing. In the model comes a big servo, about the same as the Willy Farner from Fréderic. His building story is very helpfull!
Because the rear girder is resting on one point there should be no bending in the rear girder when the wings are warped.

The photo in the beginning of this article from the FG-1 gives an idea of the controls.
So, this was a lot of puzzling, I can now start building.
I think I am going to make all the ribs this summer, Adri is going to CNC a aluminium jig to make the ribs in, something like 80!
All info is welcome!
to be continued, Vincent
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 13/05/2016 03:53    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Bonjour Vincent

Ha chouette enfin un nouveau projet qui se concrétise pour Vauville [clap]

Pour les biplans, triplans... je me demande si on aurait pas pu réduire l'envergure à 2m, ça fait déjà une belle taille, enfin ça dépend aussi de l'échelle. A 2m ça ferait au 1/6e c'est encore bien pour les détails.
Donc si ça t'arrange de construire plus petit... Mais bon si tu as déjà les plans tracés et tout prévu, fais comme tu veux Wink

Retroplane et modélisme en pause, vanlife à haute dose.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Wolfgang
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

austria.gif

MessagePosté le: 13/05/2016 05:13    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

[clap] [clap]
next projekt is starting
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 14/05/2016 09:49    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Vincent et Wolfgang pour les comments!

About the scale, yes it's getting pretty big, I think it's worth a try, hopefully it will fly more steady and I was already mentally prepared Very Happy

Vincent.
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 14/06/2016 09:36    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Bonjour a tous,
Quite suddenly I started with the ribs. I thought to make them of battens 2 mm X 3mm spruce with gusset plates from 0.8 mm ply and a nose section from 3 mm ply. Adri had some spare time and so he could CNC the jigs for the ribs. One of the easy things on the FG-2 is that the wings are straight, so alle the ribs are mor or less the same. So it was a good idea to make a jig. At that time (I made a stupid error) I thought I needed 80 ribs, later I accidentely discovered I needed 140!
We first thought of milling them out of aluminium, but after some thouhts and discussions we got the advice to make them of Delrin, a kind of plastic which looks and feels the same as nylon, but is much better for milling. At a local shop I could buy a piece of 10 X 100 cm and Adri started milling. Before he started I tried to glue a piece of wood on the Delrin with cyano and indeed it didn't stick at all! He proposed to make the jig 2mm deep, so the ribs will protrude 1mm, good for sanding and get it out of the jig.

He also made small nose section from 3mm ply

Some battens needed a bit of sanding to get in the jig

aftre fitting in all the battens and gluing on the gusset plates ther was a tense moment, will it come out? to my relief after twisting and bending the jig a bit, it came out easily

Very Happy

On the background all the milled pieces, gusset plates and nose sections, at tis moment for 80 ribs. in total I need 710 halfround and 1120 quarter round gusset plates.

The aluminium jig is for making th tailpiece, and Adri milled two jigs, for left and right ribs (the gusset plates are only on one side) I two days I made some 20 ribs and now my hands are a bit tired!

I am amazed how strong the ribs are! Only 120 to go....
To be continued.
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 14/06/2016 09:57    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

C'est une très bonne idée le moule en Delrin quand toutes les nervures sont les mêmes. Paolo Severin perce le moule afin de démouler encore plus facilement les nervures, voir sur son site http://www.paoloseverin.it/techno/ribs/page41.html

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
GARCIA
Psycho Posteur
Psycho Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 14/06/2016 15:42    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Oui c'est une bonne idée ce moule. Travail très propre [clap] [clap] [clap]

José
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 29/06/2016 15:16    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Bonjour a tous,

First I continued with the ribs and I tried to speed things a bit up. I wanted to have it finished before the holydays. I made an adjustable jig to cut all the vertical and diagonal trusses to the correct lenght.

I slowly realised the amount of work! All these bits have to be glued!

This is how I cut the diagonals.

Some of the top and bottom battens had to be sanded down to fit into the jig. This is my favorite sanding block, 10mm balsa with self adhesive sandingpaper.

With all the battens in the jig I sanded the surface flat

. One drop of gap filling cyano and directly I put the gusset plate on his position.

and pressed it on for 15 seconds. (Yes its not the same gusset plate.) It seems to me that, after some time, it became harder to get the ribs out of the jig. Luckily Vincent pointed me at the jigs of Paolo Severin who had made holes in the jig to tap the ribs out. That exactly what I did (thankyou Vincent!)

That went much better! So I made the last 50 to 60 ribs this way

The last one [amen] Adri calculated it, 3784 actions!

Now I only have to build the plane...
In the meantime I did some more research and I contacted the Aviodrome Collectiebeheer. They quickly answered me and mailed a plan!
Wonderful! With handwritten text, very good.
From Aviodrome, Collectiebeheer;

This drawing had some very interesting measures, the height (which I had almost correctly got from the fotographs) and a different wingspan, (11.20 m instead of 12 m). They also gave me the name of Hans Disma, who has a archive. I mailed him and he send me the same plan and some very interesting stuff. First a German article which mentioned the same wingspan (11.20 m) and also a description of the qualities of the plane; they thought that it was more a floater, not very suitable for soaring, due to the low wingload.
From the archive of Hans Disma;

In this article the spacing of the main spars in the wing was mentioned (55cm), we had estimated that correct! The other thing he send was a wunderful and very informative picture.
From the archive of Hans Disma

This is a gem! There are so much details; I think it was taken at the Wasserkuppe, the FG 2 standing on some crates Laughing on the left someone is taken off the cloth of one rudder, I guess to enlarge it, Anthony Fokker with another man and two woman is changing the nacelle. This looks like the first modification, enlarged vertical stabilizer, still a short tailboom and the nacelle hanging over the trailingedge of the wing. Later the nacelle is moved forward and the tailboom lenghtened. This picture gives a very good image of the wing and I detected internal crossbracing. Also good visible is the thickness of the spars and I think I drawed them to bulky. In the model (and already in made the ribs!) they were planned for 8mm thick, and I think they should be something like 4mm. It means that the apertures in the ribs are to big. Luckily you only will see it when you look into the wing.
The thing that worries me a bit are the planned joints in the wing, but it's very impractical to make the wings in one piece. Something to breed on!

To be continued,

Vincent.
Johannes
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

germany.gif

MessagePosté le: 29/06/2016 19:41    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Toller Bericht [clap] [clap]
Bitte weiter so Very Happy

Johannes
sebastian92
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 29/06/2016 19:48    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

marvelous technic for building ! [clap]

Pourvu que ça vole, roule, flotte ! normalement j'ai tout bien fait pour…
Un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien ! Marcel Dassault
…………
Sebastian

Vends module émission 2.4 ghz pour Futaba, Hitec TZ-FM + 2 récepteurs corona 8 voies (contact en MP)
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 30/06/2016 13:48    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Thanks Sebastian for the compliments und danke Johannes fur die [clap]
It is always very encouraging!

Vincent.
CHAUSSEBOURG
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 30/06/2016 19:55    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Vincent, I like your ribs. Wonderful!

Lorsqu'on est toujours en l'air, c'est qu'on n'est pas encore posé.
Johannes Walkowiak
LDC
Johannes
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

germany.gif

MessagePosté le: 01/07/2016 06:19    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hallo Vincent,
was für ein Profil hast Du genommen?
Ich brauche noch eine Idee für mein Stehaufchen Confused

Johannes
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 02/07/2016 08:54    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hallo Johannes,

Ich habe nur die abbildung der Rippen:

Die Nahme kommt doch spater, , all die Locher gehoren naturlich nicht dabei Wink

Vincent
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 02/07/2016 19:52    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hallo Johannes,
Rob hat es gefunden, das profil ist: Eppler E174.

Vincent
Walter
Incurable Posteur
Incurable Posteur

austria.gif

MessagePosté le: 04/07/2016 20:02    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Vincent,

...very interesting project - I will follow!

3784 actions.... Shocked and nobody can see this after covering.... Crying or Very sad

So - I would suggest - make one ore two more for demonstration... [arf]

...hope to meet you in vauville

Wink
Walter
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 05/07/2016 08:51    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the Crying or Very sad Very Happy . Luckily you can see the ribs at the "Expo fuselage!", but the main reason is the translucentcy of the wings, with massive ribs they would look very different (I think Confused)

Vincent
Mad Doc
Accro Posteur
Accro Posteur

germany.gif

MessagePosté le: 01/08/2016 14:50    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hallo Vincent!!!!
Endlich habe ich es geschafft mir Deinen Bericht anzusehen, was für eine schöne Arbeit!!!
Ich bin sehr gespannt auf Deinen weiteren Fortschritt, liebe Grüße,

Christian
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 21/08/2016 11:02    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hello everyone,

Back from Polsa and our holyday I started again with the wings.
I liked to make the wingspars thinner, 4mm instead of the 8mm as planned, with internal crossbracing, as I discovered on the photo (with the FG 2 on crates). First I made a full size drawing of the wing.

I made mainspars from 4 X 4 mm with a ply webb and vertical from 3 X 2mm.

When I got them finished they appeared to be very flimsy. I can imagine, that combined with the crossbracing it would be just strong enough, but very vulnerable. In the end I decided to go back to a bigger spar. Because the wing must not be stiff in torsion, I opted for 4 X 8 mm top and bottom with a single 1 mm ply webb.

This was much better! I also choosed to have the wing divided, in one piece is too impractical. As wing joiner for the main spar I took a steel strip 10 X 1 mm and for the rear spar a 3 mm steel rod. In the centre part of the wing are a lot of attachments; on top the struts with fuselage, and at the bottom the landing skid. I took M 4 bolts bedded in epoxy with filler and some carbon reinforcement. I greased the M 4 bolts a bit, so I could take them out when the epoxy was set.

(The balsa at the ends is just to prevent the epoxy for flowing out, it can be taken away easily.)

All the stuff needed for the wings..

The central lower part of the wing.

Putting all the ribs on the spars, a very quick job compared with making of the ribs itself!

One wing! To my big relief it was in horizontal plane sufficient stiff and stiff enough (for a biplane) vertically.

Moment of truth: the wing is easily warped! Very Happy

Next thing is the upper wing.
To be continued.
Vincent.
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 21/08/2016 11:24    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Encore un sacré travail de fait, bravo Vincent [clap]

michel
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 21/08/2016 16:56    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

[clap] belle structure, c'est quoi comme profil ?

Michel

bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 21/08/2016 18:04    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Vincent et Michel pour les comments encouragieus!
Le profil est Eppler E174.
The weight of the wings at this moment is 640 grams, I think the whole plane will be about 3000 to 3500 gramms. Gives a wingload of 22- 26 gr/dm.

Vincent
bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 25/08/2016 14:56    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hello everyone,

Erstens, Christian , danke fur dir kommentar, es war schon lange da, befor wir zu hause waren, Ich war vergessen darauf zu reagieren. Embarassed

This week I assembled the top wing,

I'will make the internal crossbracing only cosmetic, because I made the girders a bit heavier.

Top and bottom wing together;

Laminated the wingtips out of two 2mm X 3mm spruce .

Both wings

Now I am going to finish the wings and start with the fuselage.

To be continued.
Frédéric
Psycho Posteur
Psycho Posteur

europe.gif

MessagePosté le: 25/08/2016 15:27    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Salut Vincent !

C'est magnifique ! Très joli travail !
[clap] [clap] [clap] [amen]

Amicalement
Frédéric Wink

"L'eau plate ne favorise pas le vol de pente." Otto Lilienthal
"In Cyano véritas" Michel Coneuf
"Veni, bibi, vomi" Pasqual VOMITINO
Retroplane fort et vert !
michel
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 25/08/2016 17:10    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

[clap] [clap] Magnifique structure, [bave]

Michel

bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 26/08/2016 16:03    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Frederic et Michel! It is very encouraging Very Happy
I am waiting for the tubes and puzzling about the fuselage, how did Fokker connect the wood with the tubes etc?

Vincent.
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 26/08/2016 17:10    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Que fais tu exactement en tube? tout le fuselage avec les haubans des ailes et les poutres arrières qui maintiennent l'empennage? ou seulement la partie avant du fuselage qui est entoilée?

bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 26/08/2016 18:37    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Bonjour Vincent,
Excuse moi, je continue en Anglais, the tailboom, horizontal and vertical stabilizers, wing struts, struts for the skid and the tubing to support the skin of the nacelle are of tube.
The " A " which you can see on the view from above on my plans is from wood, but I think it is interconnected with metal fastenings. In the coming week I am going to visit the "Aviodrome " (a museum) to have a close look of the Fokker Spin (spider) which is displayed there. The Spin is also a bit of hybrid construction, timber with metal. I hope that I understand a bit more of his , don't know how to say, construction pattern? just the way he worked with wood & metal. I ordered the tubes at "tubos capilares", very nice service, hope to get them on short notice.

Vincent.
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 26/08/2016 18:55    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Pour des connexions tubes/bois, tu peux braser une tôle de 1mm et boulonner. Le bois peut aussi rentrer dans un tube si ce n'est pas une partie soumise à des efforts.

bocorvin
Maniaco Posteur
Maniaco Posteur

netherlands.gif

MessagePosté le: 26/08/2016 19:48    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Je ne comprends pas, helas, je ne connais pas le mot "boulonner".
On one of the photo's you can see (guess) how support tubes are fastened to the skid, it looks a bit like this.
The tubes are silver soldered to the "U "plate.

The bolt is M2 , that would be M10 true scale. I guess he connected those quite big timber parts with metal plates and bolts. Its only educated guessing Confused

Vincent
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum -> Constructions Métalliques - Stahlrohrkonstruktion Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Suivante
Page 1 sur 8

Sauter vers: